Switch to udisks2 results in new mount location for USB drives

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sun Aug 18 10:53:17 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Steve Riley <steve at rileyz.net> wrote:
> The new version (4.11) of libsolid4 recommends udisks2, which is a change from previous versions of libsolid4 that recommended the older udisks. The most visible difference is that USB drives are now mounted under /media/$USER rather than /media.
>
> It's causing some confusion; see:
> http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?63441
> http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?63446
>
> In the first post, I documented a udev rule that restores prior behavior (originally found in http://askubuntu.com/questions/214646/). Since the 4.11 update has landed mid-cycle, does it make sense to default to the previous behavior since that's what so many Kubuntu users are accustomed to?

Well, at least there should be a big fat warning about that change, as
the average users will hate us for not finding their external HD
anymore. It certainly was not pointed out in the KDE release notes, at
least I couldn't find it there and that in itself is already bad, as
such changes need to be made public.

Usecase:

Amarok users who have their collection on an external USB HD and
suddenly don't find their collection anymore. This is easy to solve
for us, but a really PITA and bad user experience for Mrs Average.
Whoever came up with that change should be slapped and taught some
basic usability and common sense *sigh*

But I agree with Scott, we will have to live with it, the damage is
done already by upstream all over the place for users of KDE 4.11 out
there and I bet other distros face exactly the same problem.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org