Kubuntu PowerPC builds

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 1 12:19:47 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Ho Wan Chan <smartboyhw at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, a survey conducted by Russian Ubuntu users revealed that 80%
> of users agree to the decision of removing such images.

~700 votes casted; and the voters had not been properly informed as it
turns out.

> So, I'm suggesting that we should change our attitude, and stop
> building PowerPC images.

As has been done at about every non-virtual UDS since forever. Latest
conclusion (from I think the March Mumble Meeting) was that since
build problems do not really occur (unlike with ARM for example) we
want to keep it around for as long as we have someone testing the ISO.
That being said, I do not know anyone who spends considerable time on
Kubuntu for PowerPC, so I am not sure dropping PowerPC would have any
impact on the developers. I for one don't care.

> Don't forget, we aren't exactly Lubuntu, who wants to support every
> single old computer.
> Alternate images are what Lubuntu still wants while we have already dropped it.
> Why should we drop alternate images if we can properly test it, as in
> coherence to our attitude?

We didn't test them, that's why alternate was dropped.

> So, what are the pros and cons of removing PowerPC image builds?
>
> Pros:
>
> Save testing time on PowerPC builds (and no need to wait for it at all
> before we can release betas or final releases)

AFAIK we'd still have to wait for the other flavors and I don't think
we ever delayed a release for considerable amount of time because an
architecture that is not x86 based wasn't tested.

> Don't have to rely on other testers

If we are spending time testing while relying on other testers to test
then something went terribly wrong...

> Don't have to spend time squeezing size of those builds (like Lubuntu does)

True. not much time is spent here though.

> Remember: We are NOT Lubuntu.

And PowerPC systems are NOT deprecated and ancient like say a PII or III.

HS