KDE Telepathy or Kopete

James Cain james.cain.25 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 17:42:31 UTC 2012

Jonathan's points below tend to sway me towards shipping with KTP. and
ditching Kopete. All things being equal (I think there are valid arguments
on both sides here), most usage cases today and going forward would have
users wanting Facebook and GTalk integration as opposed to Groupwise, QQ,
or Yahoo...

Also, security risks going forward on a 5 year LTS release would seem more
likely to be promptly-addressed on an active code base.

This also means MANY more users, and likely a faster development rate than
would otherwise be the case with KTP missing or only available by adding
some obscure repo...

I do think that notification integration is needed, however.

- James Cain*

Jonathan Riddell* jriddell at ubuntu.com
<kubuntu-devel%40lists.ubuntu.com?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bkubuntu-devel%5D%20Re%3A%20kde%20telepathy%3F&In-Reply-To=%3C20120213190056.GB21668%40starsky.19inch.net%3E>
*Mon Feb 13 19:00:56 UTC 2012*