[kubuntu-devel] Re: kde telepathy?

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 19:18:10 UTC 2012

On Monday 13 February 2012 19:00:56 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 07:53:05PM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > Hi, I think that LTS version should have stable IM client. Kopete is old
> > but more stable and tested.
>
> What makes you think it is more stable?
>
> There are many problems and bugs with Kopete not least it doesn't work for
> modern IM uses like GTalk, Facebook, Bonjour.
>
> Kopete is unmaintained so it's problems won't go away, KDE Telepathy is and
> has active upstreams so we can poke them at problems we find.
>
> Currently I'm minded to put kde-telepathy on the CD before feature freeze
> with the option to take it out if we find major problems before releasae.
>
> Jonathan

Ok. If you think that kde-telepathy is good IM client and upstream (or
kubuntu) developers will fix future bugs for Kubuntu LTS version, include it.
The only problem I see that new project could release new versions more
frequently and include new features, which is not good for LTS.

And about Kopete:

Seems that Kopete is now really dead.

On KDE reviewboard are more patches for kopete. I asked for testing &
including patches to KDE trunk, but my last email (on kopete mailinglist) is
without response...

So if new project kde-telepathy works without problem, go ahead and include it
to Kubuntu CD!

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com