ARM source

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 6 14:04:50 UTC 2012

Aloha,

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM, LucaTringali <TRINGALINVENT at libero.it> wrote:
> I'm trying to produce a version of Kubuntu able to run on a RaspberryPi.
> Kubuntu has already a ARM precompiled version, but it does not support the
> ARMv6 (used by Raspberry), so I thought that I could take the source code
> and compile it directly on a Raspberry, to obtain a compatible version.

Well, we do not have an ARMv6 kernel, so I am not sure I understand
what exactly you mean. You could try to build just about everything
but the kernel, that would however take forever and ever on one
machine, also it is somewhat unlikely all of the relevant parts would
actually build seeing as we haven't had ARMv6 support for 5
releases=2.5 years. If you mean just the Qt/KDE software then that
will take slightly less than forever to build, but still ages, but I'd
say the KDE bits are slightly less prone to fail as they are pretty
ARM portable nowadays.

> For
> this reason I would like to know if there is a downloadable folder with all
> the source code of Kubuntu ARM ready to compile, or if I need to get every
> part separately and compile it.

Everything separately. Though you could write a semi-complex script to
parse 12.04's package set [1] and automatically grab the sources from
archive.ubuntu.com, if you'd just want the KDE sources you'd need to
add additional magic (For example using reverse dependency resolution)
to detect which packages belong to the Qt based software stack.

However this seems somewhat impractical. I would suggest that you
install Debian, which should actually have KDE SC packages for ARMv6
(at least I think they still support it). Otherwise you can always get
some distribution that has ARMv6 builds and simply build your own KDE
SC manually [2], our ARM relevant changes are all brought into KDE, so
there should be little to no code difference in term of ARM support.

Feel free to make your question more precise, if I failed to answer it :)

[1] http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/12.04/release/kubuntu-12.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+omap.manifest
[2] ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/

HS