kde telepathy?

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 03:00:26 UTC 2012

>Sounds to me like Precise+1 is the better target then. Plus that one will not
be LTS so it is easier to justify regressions over kopete (if any remain by
that time :)).

I am inclined to agree with you, as much as I don't want to. I
genuinely think we're a much better product for most the vast majority
of users, but the ones who are missing a feature they had in Kopete
will kick up such a big noisy fuss and that will be bad for everyone.

Precise +1 should be with enough time for us to make 0.5, which will
have most of these things sorted; logs (inc 'import'), video calls,
kipi plugin, krunners, plasmoids, message filtering plugins (almost
certainly not OTR though).  Most of this is being merged already.
I don't think we need to wait until we're feature identical with
Kopete because that would be silly. We're a different product, and we
do a lot of things better already, and a lot of things differently by
design.

Could we still be an easily installable extra in the official Kubuntu
repos though? We could do with additional helpful feedback, and
otherwise we're in a constant chicken and egg situation of "we're not
using you, you're not a well deployed tested product" + larger a
userbase increases our chances of getting devs.

>> We already have a messaging indicator that supports email, IRC, and IM in
> the systray.

It supports KDE Telepathy not badly already (as anyone who's actually
run it before jumping on this thread will know). The only problems
are:
1) it lists itself as empathy
2) you get a notification from us as well. You can fix that simple by
not installing/enabling ktp-approver.
3) It doesn't notify you of unread messages in a chat window (only new
incoming conversations, I'm not sure if we should or not?)

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 February 2012 16:03:46 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> Anything else?
>
> Is it just me or is the icon not particular oxygen? Something about it looks
> weird compared to other oxygen icons TBH.

Which icon? The blue speech bubble? It was made by the oxygen team.