kde telepathy?

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 15 23:17:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM, David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> My point is it's only a few, 6 is on the high end. Migrating this is
> significantly less important than 1000s of emails.  It's simply not
> worth the time for the reward. 6 accounts would take you less than 5
> minutes to set up in KDE Telepathy.
> Particularly as we create "Facebook" or "Gmail" accounts, not just
> "Jabber" like you see in Kopete, so there's not a percect 1-1 mapping,
> only hacks so it probably would break in a large amount of cases
> anyway.

That seems majorly inconvenient TBH, I for one do care quite a bit
about my logs :(
And I certainly would about my metacontacts, I had them set up at some
point but some upgrade years ago broke my contacts database and all
was lost... oh boy that was quite the sad day, I was furious.
So I appreciate the technical difficulty, however I personally feel
uneasy about telling our users that we have a new cool system, except
all the stuff they did in the old system will not be immediately
usable in it.

I remember a time when that happend not to long ago, and I recall KDE
and all distros getting quite the beating for it.

Loss of data is never fun. I agree that emails by and large are
objectively more important than IM data, I am not so sure if they are
subjectively though. If someone spent hours bringing their kopete into
shape by creating metacontacts and now all that was gone they are
bound be unhappy, to say the least (talking from experience here).

BR
Harald