kde telepathy?

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 22:51:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Mark Fraser
<ubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 Feb 2012 21:47:06 David Edmundson wrote:
>
>> > How is data migrated from Kopete?
>

>> It is not. Accounts isn't really an issue people only tend to have 3
>
>> at most and making new accounts is fricking easy. Migrating logs is
>
>> more of a pain, and 0.3 (which you're looking at shipping doesn't have
>
>> a log viewer)
>

> I have 6 accounts and I have merged the contacts from different IMs of one
> person into one meta-contact which is something that I don't think you can
> currently do with Telepathy.

It's worth always saying "KDE Telepathy" rather than just Telepathy,
telepathy is our backend, or upstream.

My point is it's only a few, 6 is on the high end. Migrating this is
significantly less important than 1000s of emails.  It's simply not
worth the time for the reward. 6 accounts would take you less than 5
minutes to set up in KDE Telepathy.
Particularly as we create "Facebook" or "Gmail" accounts, not just
"Jabber" like you see in Kopete, so there's not a percect 1-1 mapping,
only hacks so it probably would break in a large amount of cases
anyway.

No we don't have metacontacts in 0.3.
There's been a lot of "discussion" on this for years, but we now have
a plan with KDE PIM, which unfortunately means us writing an entire
metacontact framework for all of KDE, as Akonadi is now pulling in
contact information from multiple sources and needs them merging, so
it's different from the old system of "everything ties to the one
address book".  In an attempt to do this properly, there's been a lot
of bike shedding and OTT plans, and even some code, but it's not in
yet.

Dave