Add hplip-gui to Kubunto ISO?

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 13 09:12:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Steve Riley <steve at rileyz.net> wrote:
> A number of folks in the forum use this package. It's a Qt application that
> allows users to access all the various HP-related features and functions that
> the standard printer KCM doesn't know about.
>
> hplip-gui is only 19.8 KiB compressed, so I'd imagine it would fit on the ISO
> without problem. Since HP printers tend to be popular, could we add the -gui
> package? This would increase the appeal of Kubuntu to newcomers who don't know
> that the package exists and probably don't know how to find it.
>
> http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?59734#post306072

In my experience "nice to have" is a jolly bad reason for adding
things. As many things are nice to have, yet so few are useful to
have. That said, I fail to see the use. Yes hplip does more specific
HP stuff, but why does a regular user need a specific HP tool? As I
see it the "regular" work flow is.. plug in printer, print. Anything
other than that goes into the category of 'tech-savvy person wants to
do things other folks don't even know are possible'.

Just my 27 rupees.

HS