UDS Considerations for Kubuntu

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Oct 13 15:43:17 UTC 2011

On Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:36:34 AM Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:

> >> KDE4 versions have dolphin. I don't remember being able to find
> >> anything other than Konqueror for file management or web browsing the
> >> few times I tried Kubuntu with KDE3 ("tried" because I didn't end up
> >> liking KDE3).  If dolphin was there, Konqueror was too and was more
> >> visible.
> >
> > We did ship a KDE3 thing called d3lphin that was an early version of
> > dolphin. It was  bad idea.
>
> Your other email said 2008, so was that when 8.04 came out and had a
> KDE3 and a KDE4 version both at once? (how on earth did yall produce
> two at once????) I only tried the KDE4 version of that. My other
> attempts with KDE3 were in '07.

Yes.  It was in Hardy (maybe Gutsy).  In any case, the idea of sticking close
to upstream is really a post KDE4 vision for Kubuntu that I seriously question
given that we're years into KDE4, KDE5 is started, and the transition to KDE4
was never properly finished (I thought I finally owned a system that I could run
Nepomuk on and see how well it works, but it's looking like I was wrong).

Scott K