RFC: Switch to Firefox and a 1.5 GB image

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Tue Dec 6 16:08:57 UTC 2011

Well Firefox fails in many places imho, form the KDE experience point of

-KWallet is not integrated, extension is not an option.
    A few years ago I made a livecd that would mount your home and steal
all your firefox data, why I was able to do this? because Firefox by
default has a keyring of passwords with a generated key stored within
the profile, meaning that everybody with the needed knowledge can access
it resulting in a 0% effective way of storing passwords.

-It does not use XDG
    So we have a good standard called XDG which cover a few things,
between them default applications. All Mozilla products use their own
system so for example right now, Thunderbird in my system tries to open
pdf with gimp.

-Open dialogs, we have a modification but, can we support it?
     I know that OpenSuse has a modified Firefox build but my question
is, can we support it? do we have the knowledge to support that modified
version?

I can put more of these "small" things.

If Kubuntu decides to ship a modified version of Firefox (extensions in
Firefox modify Firefox itself), can we support it? can we be sure that
if Ubuntu decides to update to Firefox 12-13-14-15 we will be able to
port the extensions quickly enough?

Imho Kubuntu should be careful with these kind of things, if you ship
with patched or modified software is ok as long as you can support it if
not it can backfire.