R: Re: RFC: Switch to Firefox and a 1.5 GB image

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Dec 6 17:53:42 UTC 2011

On 12/06/2011 12:48 PM, LucaTringali wrote:
> Ok, why we could not distribute a DVD iso with the warning "downloading this
> file can be illegal in some countries, clicking on this button you declare that
> it's not illegal in your country"?

To use the example of Flash, it's not in an Ubuntu repository.  Ubuntu
Multiverse has a Flash downloader that downloads it from Canonical's
Partner repository.  Flash is not distributable, so it would not be
legal to mirror or copy an ISO that had the actual Flash executable on
it.  The only reason it's available in Canonical's Partner repository is
because of a contract between Adobe and Canonical.

So it's not just a question of what's legal for the user to use, but
what's legal on Ubuntu mirrors.

Scott K