Default notification changes for network-management

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sat Apr 2 03:45:04 UTC 2011

On Friday, April 01, 2011 11:10:19 PM Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Am Freitag 01 April 2011, 21:07:44 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
> > In Natty, the network-management widget is much noiser than it was in
> > Maverick.  It now raises a notification when a connection attempt starts,
> > when it succeeds, when it fails, and if wifi strength gets too low (the
> > last one may not me new, I'm not sure).
>
> Are those configurable via GUI now? The last git checkout I tried (one or
> so month ago) had the notifications but no way to configure them in System
> Settings.
>
> Btw: If Connection Failed also covers lost VPN connections (due bad signal
> or whatever can interrupt them), I'm in favor of keeping that notification
> enabled for security reasons (only unencrypted WLANs available -- eg. in
> some universities).

You can configure them, but you do it via the notification settings, not via
the networkmanagement setting (I had trouble finding this).  I suspect it's
been there, just not very disoverable.

I think the indication in the systray is generally sufficient and if people
are particularly concerned, then have a way to re-enable them.  Does the
ability to enable them via GUI resolve your concern?

Scott K