kubuntu.org -> - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kubuntu let's begin improving - ... :) ; jor KU-dev

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sun Sep 26 21:47:49 BST 2010

Patrick -
A+, 100% Excellent ideas & thoughts.  :)

It is great that you wrote this. :)

Let us begin to make some improvements.

When you are ready, go here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kubuntu
log in,
& let the improving begin.  :)

Also, please pass this message along to the KUbuntu forums.  As you
mentioned, those people probably know of some excellent content to add.
:)

==
Note that currently, one must type the capitalized "Kubuntu", not
"kubuntu" in the wiki url.

Maybe a redirect from the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/kubuntu to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kubuntu page could be put in place.

==
The only tragedy so far is that the ubuntu wiki lacks
1) unregistered/anonymous editing
 - The benefit is lower barrier to entry -> more contributions  :)
 - but this requires:
2) the wikipedia registered user moderation/control system
 - to minimize anonymous abuse.

In a good world, someday the managers of the wiki.ubuntu.com will get
that technology from the wikipedia people/system.  :)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 13:28:10 -0500, "Patrick Dickey"
<pdickeybeta at gmail.com> said:
> After reading some of the original threads on this subject, I thought
> I'd weigh in (from a newbie's point of view).  I understand what all
> sides are saying, and to an extent both sides are right in the issue.
>
> Personally, I'd like to see the second wiki formed (even if it's an
> offshoot of the current wiki).  What I think it should contain is an
> expanded FAQ about Kubuntu.  Basically, if it's in a sticky in the
> Ubuntu forums or Kubuntu forums, and is about how to do something, or
> what hardware/software/etc works with Kubuntu (and how to enable that),
> then it should be in the wiki.
>
> As for managing and creating the wiki, you could ask the moderators in
> the forums to help out with that (since they will know best what
> stickies are relevant).  If it's an Ubuntu (general) item, it should
> only go into the wiki if it's not covered in help.ubuntu.com or the
> Ubuntu Wiki.  If it's a Kubuntu-specific item, then it should be edited
> to be useful to newbies, and put in the wiki.
>
> On the Kubuntu site, you could put a link to help.ubuntu.com (or the
> Ubuntu wiki) for "Ubuntu-general support questions" and a link to the
> Kubuntu support wiki for "Kubuntu-specific support questions" along with
> a link to the current wiki for "Kubuntu-development questions".
>
> To be honest, when I have a question or problem, the first place I go is
> Google.  Second is the Ubuntu-wiki, and third is the Ubuntu
> forums/Kubuntu forums/Linux Questions forums/Linux How To Forums.  From
> there, I'll hop around the Internet until I find the answer (or give up
> trying).  It would be nice to have one place to go for my questions.
>
> And for the question about whether I'm willing to help, I would be
> willing to help in any way that I can.  If you point me to a sticky that
> you want to add, I could help write it up and maybe get screenshots for
> the page.  Like another commenter here, I would need some hand-holding
> at first. I've never submitted or edited a wiki before.
>
> Sorry for the long-winded post. Have a great day:)
> Patrick.

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture