Pulseaudio on Maverick 10.10

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 14:14:26 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Valter Mura <valtermura at gmail.com> wrote:
> with the new release in subject (Maverick 10.10), the system changed the
> handling of the audio, at least for me, from alsa to pulseaudio.

Correct, this was discussed at UDS-M and concurred.

> Now my microphone doesn't work (I tried it with Skype, that I use) and in the
> setting interface of the mixer there are no options to set channels and
> devices.

"microphone doesn't work" is awfully vague.  Can you be precise
regarding the current audio configuration (e.g., amixer output)?  It's
best to file a bug report against alsa-driver (i.e., ubuntu-bug
alsa-base) - which will probably be a mixer setting and thus be
converted to a question instead of being "an actual bug."

Be aware that Skype, by default, enables automatic adjustment of
capture levels.  This wreaks all sorts of havoc on unsuspecting Skype
users.  In other words, on Linux it sucks, is bad, and needs to be
disabled by default.

> One Kubuntu user, O. Sinclair, suggested me to install pavucontrol, but I
> suppose KMix should handle all the input/output devices.

Pavucontrol will suffice if/until KMix meets your needs.

Best,
-Dan