Kubuntu beta 1 candiadate images need testing

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 09:44:22 GMT 2010

On Thursday 18 March 2010 5:30:55 am Wesley Schwengle wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> >> PS: isn't the upgrade suppose to work for both karmic=>lucid and
> >> 8.04=>10.04? then there should be a new test there in iso tracker.
> >
> > Upgrades from hardy are not supported.
>
> Are you serious? I know Hardy was not LTS for the Kubuntu-devs, but this
> only involves the kubuntu-desktop packages (and other KDE related
> packages). The base system is the same as Xubuntu, Ubuntu, etc. Why
> should Kubuntu users upgrade to 9.10 from 8.04 and then to 10.04? On my
> Hardy box I only have "normal", "never" and "lts" options for upgrading,
> there is no "kde" option.

Without having tried it, I'd guess that KDE4 users would be mostly OK.  It's
the people using KDE3 that would have trouble, because the transitional
packages to automatically move them from KDE3 versions of programs to KDE4
versions may not be there.

Of course, there's still the possibility that 8.04 had versions of software
that used different formats to hold their data.  Transitioning all their data
to current formats sounds nightmarish.  Just upgrading Kontact to the Akonadi-
using version in Lucid is turning out to be not-100%-smooth.  And you want
this to happen for *every* program that stores data?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo