little list of proposal for maverick from kubuntu italian users

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 08:38:20 BST 2010

On Sunday 27 June 2010 09:07:04 Harald Sitter wrote:
> Am Samstag, 26. Juni 2010, 12:13:06 schrieb maggsimo at gmail.com:
> > Hi Kubuntu Developers, we are a group of Kubuntu Users come from
> > Ubuntu-it forum and we would like share to you what we would like see in
> > Maverick. This is a little list of proposals. What do you think about?
> >
> > Thanks, regards.
>
> Thank you so very much. You cannot imagine how much appreciate this. We,
> that is the developers, at times forget about the small things while
> hunting after the big issues, also completely forgetting that it is the
> small stuff things that make a truely great operating system. Getting a
> reminder every once in a while is just wonderful :)
>
> > 1) Samba and share folder: In Dolphin, in a folder's menu, the option
> > "Share folder" doesn't work because the package "kdenetwork-filesharing"
> > is not installed. It's necessary to share folders via Dolpin. The bug is
> > filed in launchpad but it's not yet fixed (LP bug #402015, #209873)
>
> I think the tab in Dolphin should not be shown at all if
> knetwork-filesharing is not installed? :/
> In either case, this is not settled by adding that package to the CD, since
> you would still need to install either Samba or NFS, so we would just be
> moving the problem along.
> This whole difficulty in sharing is a long-standing issue that we wanted to
> work on for a long time, but somehow we never got to it. I am not really
> sure what to do here. Ideas anyone?

Would it be possible to - when the tab is first activated - run the "Other
packages needs to be installed dialog" (don't know what it's called but some
application such as Amarok uses it for codecs etc.
A more simple approach would to show a short explanation pointing to a wiki
page that explains how Samba and knetwork-filesharing is installed. Otherwise
many people wouldn't even know that the possibility is there.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen