Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 18 21:24:04 BST 2010

Hi

We're currently looking at whether Kaffeine 1.0 is suitable for
inclusion in Kubuntu by default.  I have a few issues and wonder if
you could comment.

Firstly, it doesn't use Phonon.  This means (at least with Pulseaudio
which most distros use now) that it doesn't follow the settings for
audio output, so it doesn't work with my USB headphones.  Is there any
way to fix that?  (It also means it will continue to use xine should
distros ever start to use another Phonon backend.)

Videos don't currently show when they start playing, I have to switch
to the playlist tab and back to the playback tab.

Finally, my pet dislike, a pointless systray icon, we can turn it off
with a config option I hope but I'd like to hear the justification.
It's also using the old KSystemTrayIcon class I see, that probably
means Aurelien Gateau will be taking an axe to it to replace it with
KStatusNotifierItem at some point.

Jonathan