Criticism of the Kubuntu installer

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 17:07:28 GMT 2010

On Monday 18 January 2010 6:59:49 am Claus Appel wrote:
> 2. When choosing where to install, there are only two options: "Use entire
> disk" and "manual". Basically, there is a "complete n00b" and "expert"
> level, but no intermediate levels. I suggest adding one or more of the
> following:
> (a) A "replace existing Linux" option, like the Fedora installer has (in
> Fedoras 9-11, at least).
> (b) A "use unpartitioned space" option.
> (c) A "replace the following partitions with a default Linux layout".

Wait, we don't have a "dual boot with <slider> *this much* for Kubuntu and th
e rest for the old OS" option like Ubuntu does?

> 6. When installation is in progress, the background (behind the little
> message box and progress bar) turns white. White is a bad colour IMO, since
> it uses more energy and puts more strain on the eyes. I would prefer a
>  black background.

The "uses more energy" thing is a myth, at least in the age of LCDs (I guess
if you're talking about an old CRT though...).  The backlight has to be on
either way (yes, even to display black) so it doesn't matter.  And while I
agree that white is a bit straining as I'm light sensitive, this is something
better solved by lowering your screen brightness.  The contrast between a
black background and the rest of the installer could actually cause more
strain for others, so it's kind of a toss-up with the "white is too bright
owie" having an easier solution (lower your screen brightness).

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo