Criticism of the Kubuntu installer

Claus Appel spectrumdt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:59:49 GMT 2010

Dear Kubuntu developers.

As a new user, having recently installed Kubuntu, I have some criticism of
the Kubuntu installer. These are not problems I need help fixing, but rather
usability issues that I think could be improved in future releases. I hope
you will find the below useful.

1. There is no progress bar when checking the install medium for errors.

2. When choosing where to install, there are only two options: "Use entire
disk" and "manual". Basically, there is a "complete n00b" and "expert"
level, but no intermediate levels. I suggest adding one or more of the
following:
(a) A "replace existing Linux" option, like the Fedora installer has (in
Fedoras 9-11, at least).
(b) A "use unpartitioned space" option.
(c) A "replace the following partitions with a default Linux layout".

3. When I get to the end of the wizard, the "forward" button turns into an
"install" button. When I press "back", the "install" button should change
back to "forward", but no. It keeps saying "install" even though it actually
acts as a "forward" button. This is a bug.

4. If I go "back" to the part where I select where to install, it does not
let me review the settings I chose last time. Instead, it forces me to start
over.

5. When I am done selecting options and the installer is installing, I see a
horde of progress bars that come and go. This is not very useful. It would
be more useful to have an "overall installation" progress bar. (Even if it
is very imprecise, it would be better than nothing.)

6. When installation is in progress, the background (behind the little
message box and progress bar) turns white. White is a bad colour IMO, since
it uses more energy and puts more strain on the eyes. I would prefer a black
background.

Regards,
Claus Appel
- Claus Appel (Spectrum)

"Jesus saves, but only Moses takes incremental backups."