(Kubuntu 10.04) Memory usage unreasonable high?

Tomas Gustavsson tomplast at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 17:58:39 GMT 2010

Is it just me or is the memory usage of Kubuntu 10.04 unreasonable
high? I know that it's still in the alpha stages but it seems a little
too high here. If I disregard Konqueror from the total memory usage
it's still around 750 MiB (stabilised to 720 after 10 mins or so), out
of 2.9GiB according to ksysguard.

I know that KDE may be more for "power users" then GNOME is, but still
something must be wrong if Kubuntu draws almost 3 times the memory
compared to Ubuntu. Or is it that KDE somehow reserves more memory
then GNOME and doesn't actually uses 750MiB of my memory?

There's no doubt in my mind that Kubuntu is becoming a better every
day, but there must be a healthy balance between the resource usage
and the functionalities.