little list of proposals by kubuntu italian user
maggsimo at gmail.com
maggsimo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:54:12 GMT 2010
Hi Kubuntu Developers, we are a group of Kubuntu Users come from
Ubuntu-it forum and we would like share to you what we would like
see in Lucid. This is a little list of proposals. What do you think about?
Thanks, regards. (kico, gp, Cylon, kekko, TequilaMex, iteand,
Frankie90, superlex, ivanhoe1024, ShaiKailash)
1) Packaging: Some packages in repository has a ton of gnome
dependencies (i.e. gimp and firefox). We know those packages are
not made by Kubuntu team, but try to solve this problem considering
Kubuntu users and low space usage.
2) Samba and share folder: In Dolphin, in a folder's menu, the option
"Share folder" doesn't work because the package "kdenetwork-
filesharing" is not installed. It's necessary to share folders via Dolpin.
The bug is filed in launchpad but it's not yet fixed (LP bug #402015,
3) photo and digital kamera: In Kubuntu Karmic, when users try to
connect a digital camera, the automount doesn't start. So users
can't download or browse their photos. Manual mount of the device
or installation of digiKam is necessary to using the digital camera.
Make possible the automount of the digital camera like a removable
storage device without digiKam, or at least digiKam by default into
CD or DVD.
4) apturl-kde and firefox: apturl-kde is a great improve but into
Kubuntu is not integrated in Firefox. Firefox is not installed by default
but it is the browser used by the most number of users. A good idea
should be apturl-kde integrated in Firefox also for Kubuntu.
5) knetwork manager and kbluetooth: KNetwork Manager and
KBluetooth have still some problems. There are problems with
hidden networks and some pc freezes when transfering data to a
phone. KNetwork Manager doesn't want connect with UMTS pen like
Ubuntu with gnome does with wizard. Is it possible put in Kubuntu,
Network Manager and bluetooth which is used in Ubuntu? Or at least
fix the UMTS issue?
6) kpackagekit: kpackagekit doesn't have support for debconf and
it's not a complete package manager like Synaptic. And yes, it has
many issue like crashes and serious problem like LP bug #45442
(KPackageKit can't resolve dependencies and recommends Synaptic
7) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro
have. A not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of
KDE, but at the same time a brand for Kubuntu. Only simple work:
- Kubuntu-Icon for kickoff;
- Kubuntu logo in KDE Splash;
- Kubuntu Wallpaper branded with Kubuntu logo.
- Kubuntu logo in kdm;
8) trash plasma-widget: Add "Trash Plasmoid" in the KDE Panel. It's
comfortable for a good user experience and for users who have just
migrated from Windows.
9) Add "lock/logout" plasma-widget in the panel for an easy access
to this action.
10) artwork for folder icons in the home directory: The oxygen icons
"music","video", "documents" and "my pictures" exists and are in the
oxygen-icons package. Kubuntu doesn't use them by default. It's a
good idea to use them for a more positive user experience. Those
icons are useful to identify quickly the contents of the home
11) System colors: Oxygen colors theme was updated every release
of KDE, but kubuntu doesn't use it by default. This theme should be
the default theme since in KDE 4.4 is really improved.
12) firefox: Firefox is, now, one of the most know open source
software. It runs on Gnu/linux and Windows. Kubuntu doesn't install it
by default. It's the first program that most number of users install
after the first installation of Kubuntu. The firefox-installer is good but
it seems a patch for a problem. Firefox isn't integrated in Kubuntu
with a normal installation and is not integrated in KDE like Opensuse.
It would be a really good idea if when user installs Firefox it becomes
the default browser in his system instead of Konqueror.
13) Dragon player is only a video player and it lacks many feautures
like show subtitle. Kaffeine is a multimedia player, it has more
important features, for example dvb tv tuner. If it will be complete for
lucid, it's important to include it by default.
14) Arora/Rekonq: a webkit/qt browser by default, for example
Rekonq or Arora instead of Konqueror.
15) bangarang: a nepomuk/phonon based media player, really nice
for kubuntu-netbook edition instead of Kaffeine or Dragon
16) Open kde menù when user click on the desktop with middle
More information about the kubuntu-devel