little list of proposals by kubuntu italian user

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 18:16:40 GMT 2010

On Monday 01 February 2010 12:54:12 pm maggsimo at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Kubuntu Developers, we are a group of Kubuntu Users come from
> Ubuntu-it forum and we would like share to you what we would like
> see in Lucid. This is a little list of proposals. What do you think about?
> Thanks, regards. (kico, gp, Cylon, kekko, TequilaMex, iteand,
> Frankie90, superlex, ivanhoe1024, ShaiKailash)
>
> 1) Packaging: Some packages in repository has a ton of gnome
> dependencies (i.e. gimp and firefox). We know those packages are
> not made by Kubuntu team, but try to solve this problem considering
> Kubuntu users and low space usage.

What about it?

> 2) Samba and share folder: In Dolphin, in a folder's menu, the option
> "Share folder" doesn't work because the package "kdenetwork-
> filesharing" is not installed. It's necessary to share folders via Dolpin.
> The bug is filed in launchpad but it's not yet fixed (LP bug #402015,
> #209873)

Based on conversation at UDS, I gather Samba hasn't worked in years.  It is
being worked on for Lucid.

> 3) photo and digital kamera: In Kubuntu Karmic, when users try to
> connect a digital camera, the automount doesn't start. So users
> can't download or browse their photos. Manual mount of the device
> or installation of digiKam is necessary to using the digital camera.
> Make possible the automount of the digital camera like a removable
> storage device without digiKam, or at least digiKam by default into
> CD or DVD.

Sounds like a problem with your specific camera, as it works for mine.  Or
well, it pops up and says that a new device was plugged in, and then I click
on the camera in the menu that pops out of the panel and it offers to browse
the images.

> 7) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro
> have. A not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of
> KDE, but at the same time a brand for Kubuntu. Only simple work:
>           - Kubuntu-Icon for kickoff;
>           - Kubuntu logo in KDE Splash;
>           - Kubuntu Wallpaper branded with Kubuntu logo.
>           - Kubuntu logo in kdm;

We have as a goal to stick closely to upstream KDE, so we use KDE logos
instead of Kubuntu logos.

> 8) trash plasma-widget: Add "Trash Plasmoid" in the KDE Panel. It's
> comfortable for a good user experience and for users who have just
> migrated from Windows.
>
> 9) Add "lock/logout" plasma-widget in the panel for an easy access
> to this action.

I like these two.

> 12) firefox: Firefox is, now, one of the most know open source
> software. It runs on Gnu/linux and Windows. Kubuntu doesn't install it
> by default. It's the first program that most number of users install
> after the first installation of Kubuntu. The firefox-installer is good but
> it seems a patch for a problem. Firefox isn't integrated in Kubuntu
> with a normal installation and is not integrated in KDE like Opensuse.
> It would be a really good idea if when user installs Firefox it becomes
> the default browser in his system instead of Konqueror.

Mozilla will not allow us to have the KDE integration patches in our Firefox
and still call it Firefox.  Instead we'd like to have a working KDE browser.
We realise that Konqueror is not exactly great at rendering many websites and
have explored Arora as an alternative.  Arora was not included in Karmic
though it was considered.  I think we're hoping that Rekonq will pan out.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo