Tech preview notification for Kubuntu Netbook

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Oct 14 15:52:08 BST 2009

Based on feedback from upstream and their concern (that I share) that we want
to make it clear that Kubuntu Netbook Edition for Karmic is not the full
KDE/Kubuntu netbook vision, we decided to retain the notification screen that
the Alpha ISOs had in the installer with a appropriate message about Kubuntu
Netbook.

In the Karmic Beta release notes we said:

"Kubuntu Netbook Edition for 9.10 is the first release for this new Ubuntu
variant. It is optimized for netbook systems (usually a 9 or 10 inch display)
with a minimum vertical screen resolution of 576 pixels. It is built on the
same KDE 4.3 base as Kubuntu, but uses a technical preview version of KDE's
forthcoming Plasma Netbook to provide the basic 'desktop' environment. Kubuntu
has worked with the Plasma Netbook developers to provide a basic first look at
the initial, small part of KDE's vision for supporting netbooks.

Kubuntu Netbook Edition 9.10 will be useful for many, but is not for everyone.
It provides an early look at the plasma shell that will enable people to
interact with standard KDE applications in a way optimized for netbook
systems. It is useful, functional, and reliable. It does have a few rough
edges, but should be usable by many people without problems.

The complete version of the KDE netbook experience will be released with KDE
4.4 in January and as part of Kubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04). The current preview
is a first effort towards this completed vision for a radically better
experience on mobile, low power, net oriented systems."

I got some feedback on this from upstream.  In the meantime, we have this in
the installer:

"This is Kubuntu Netbook Edition 9.10.  It uses a preview release of the work-
in-progress Plasma Netbook environment.  While it will work for many uses
there are still pieces missing and polishing left to do to achieve our full
vision.  Feedback and contributions are both welcome."

What I propose for the RC/Final is:

"This is Kubuntu Netbook Edition 9.10.  It is the first release for this new
Ubuntu variant. Built on the same KDE 4.3 base as Kubuntu, It is optimized for
netbook systems (usually a 9 or 10 inch display) with a minimum vertical
screen resolution of 576 pixels.  Kubuntu has worked with the Plasma Netbook
developers to deliver this technical preview version of KDE's forthcoming
Plasma Netbook, which provides the basic 'desktop' environment in this
release.  While it will work for many uses there are still pieces of the full
netbook experience missing and polishing left to do.  Feedback and
contributions are both welcome."

I need to upload this today before final freeze.  Sorry for the short notice.
Comments?

Scott K