Shaman, Debian, APT, Kubuntu, and stuff

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 20:17:33 GMT 2009

Hello people,

You might or might not have noticed my post on planet KDE about Shaman (
drfav.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/introducing-shaman-a-new-universal-package-
management-frontend/ ). I have come to the point where the backend API is
enough stable to be developed on, and extensive enough to let people do fancy
stuff with it.

Shaman supports PackageKit natively, but since PackageKit lacks support for
*erm*DebConf*erm* I was wondering if there was any interest and manpower to
write up an apt backend (some also suggested to use aptdaemon). Some Debian
developers recently got interested in such a thing, and I think it would be
cool. Would you guys eventually be interested in such a thing?

P.S.: Soon there will be the possibility to write the backend in a scripted
language (Python anyone?) using the additional burden to depend on
kdebindings-python or whatever language you're using.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B