Q: Why does Kubuntu exist?

Andrea Canidio acanidio at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 04:38:08 GMT 2009

Hi Everybody,

I think Xubuntu could be a useful reference point here. If you go on the
Ubuntu website, under "derivatives", "Xubuntu", you read something that
roughly says "Xubuntu is made for less-powerful computers. Therefore it uses
XFCE". In other words, a clear goal, and a clear tool.

If you then click on "Kubuntu", it roughly say "Kubuntu is Ubuntu + KDE" few
times with different words. It follows a somehow random list of softwares and
features. Let me be clear, I don't mean to blame the person who wrote the
page. The problem is the goal of the project, or, as Harald said, why it
exists, is not clear.

Also, KDE is a tool, not a goal. Answering "Kubuntu's goal is to bring KDE to
Ubuntu" makes is sound like it is a religion!

Finally, IMO Kubuntu gives the user the power to customize every bit of the
desktop, and at the same times provides a smooth installation experience and
the best hardware recognition around. In short, all the power, and no hassle.
To achieve this, it uses Ubuntu and KDE.

Cheers!

Andrea