Q: Why does Kubuntu exist?

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 6 19:42:57 GMT 2009

In my recent wave of thinking about Kubuntu and how to make it clearer what
exactly we are doing, I came to wonder why Kubuntu actually exists.

Now, let me explain what I mean by that. Every project (every useful one
anyway) is there to solve some problem or improve something, simply put a
general justification for spending time on it. Kubuntu, being a useful project,
must have some general justificaiton of existance, some problem, desire or

What I'd like to find out is exactly what Kubuntu is supposed to archive, and
why other OS or distributions failed at it. Not so much by how we want to
archive it or by what means we (want to) measure the successfulness of this.

If everyone writes a couple of lines (some would call this brainstorming ;)),
it might be easier to find a general definition as to why Kubuntu is existing
and why it is good that it is existing.

Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer