questions/frustrations with Kubuntu Jaunty

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 01:10:27 BST 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009 01:43:03 pm Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:42:09AM -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > Good morning,
> >
> > There is a lot that I am enjoying with Kubuntu Jaunty, in fact my upgrade
> > seemed to go painlessly and I blogged about.  However these are the
> > following pain points I am having with my upgrade:
>
> [...]
>
> > 3.  Crashes:  Kontact crashes all the time using IMAP and GMAIL, several
> > other applications while I"m working on them and also at start up.  I
> > have reported several bugs, can't seem to remember which ones they are
> > now but I will dig them up and respond to this email
>
> Are you using Kontact with IMAP and GMAIL in disconnected mode? I am, and
> have not had a single crash. When I wasn't using it in disconnected mode I
> had all sorts of problems, mainly due to the amount of email I have.
>
> > 5.  Update Notifier:  The only way I get updates is if I run apt-get
> > update and then the notification is generated.  I have configured
> > Software Management to check daily and still no notification
>
> Same here, though from time-to-time I see the little bugger pop up without
> me doing anything, usually right after booting, give or take a few minutes
> of course.
>
> > To me these seem like regressions in the system.  I am quite happy with
> > the look and feel, it is a very shiny release, but there are still issues
> > that I am having.
>
> What chipset is in your laptop? I am using Intel chipsets in all of my
> systems and never once saw a slower boot up than a VM and my sound has
> always worked. Even suspend works :)

Thanks for the info on the disconnected IMAP for GMAIL.  Trying it right now,
hopefully it will be more stable.

I have an NVIDIA graphic card using the non-free driver if that was the
question in regards to chipset?

Here's the kicker, I can get my sound to work if I boot using the kernel:
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic but if I boot from the Ubuntu 9.04,
kernel 2.6.28-11 I do not get any sound.

Any ideas on that last one?  Should I file a bug?  If so against the kernel?