questions/frustrations with Kubuntu Jaunty

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 16:42:09 BST 2009

Good morning,

There is a lot that I am enjoying with Kubuntu Jaunty, in fact my upgrade
seemed to go painlessly and I blogged about.  However these are the
following pain points I am having with my upgrade:

1.  Boot speed:  A fresh VM with 512MB of VM boots significally faster then
my laptop with 4Gigs of RAM.  I don't quite understand why or how but it
happens

2.  Suspend/Resume:  When I first upgraded Suspend worked great by closing
the lid of my laptop (its  Dell Ltitude E6500), now it no longer suspends
when I close the lid.  The script that Maco provided on the suspend/resume
testing page worked, it suspended and resumed.  However closing the lid no
longer causes it to suspend even though my power settings tell it to.

3.  Crashes:  Kontact crashes all the time using IMAP and GMAIL, several
other applications while I"m working on them and also at start up.  I have
reported several bugs, can't seem to remember which ones they are now but I
will dig them up and respond to this email

4.  Sound:  Still doesn't work, on my Dell Mini 9 it works great

5.  Update Notifier:  The only way I get updates is if I run apt-get update
and then the notification is generated.  I have configured Software
Management to check daily and still no notification

To me these seem like regressions in the system.  I am quite happy with the
look and feel, it is a very shiny release, but there are still issues that I
am having.

Jonathan