def. user not in "scanner"

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Thu Oct 16 11:31:07 BST 2008

Am Mittwoch, 15. Oktober 2008 23:47:47 schrieb claydoh:
> On Wednesday October 15 2008 10:19:34 am Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > no time, so quick note:
> > the default user created during installation is not in "scanner" group
> > apps only say "no device found"
> > even old stager like me fall for this once in a while and start
> > inverstigating why the device is not there, not to mention newbies
> >
> > change please
>
> Not quite sure what this is about. But I will guess it is a scanner
> problem. This shouldn't have anything to do with the 'group' a user is in,
> but more likely is a driver/.firmware problem. For example, my canoscan
> works without any user tweaks after plugging it in, while my old mustek
> needs a firmware file, but otherwise  works the same.
>
> What scanner brand and model?
>
> --
> Clay Weber

It's a Mustek/Paragon MFS-8000SP fueled by the "mustek" backend attached to a
Symbios Logic 53C810 SCSI contoller.
Until I put the user in "scanner" any apps gave me "no device" -- unless I ran
xsane as root. That worked perfectly.
Now after I'm in that group all is fine again.

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de