Reviewing old specs

Yuriy Kozlov yuriy-kozlov at kubuntu.org
Mon May 5 00:06:13 BST 2008

Hi all,

I looked through many of the specs filed for Kubuntu[1][2] to try to
find useful things for Intrepid.  There are a lot of open specs that
are either clearly not going to be done or already are done.  There
are a couple that I think would be good to review for Intrepid.  There
are also some that were probably deferred and need a status update.
Basically, there's some cleaning up to do, and then there'll be a few
specs left that may deserve a look at UDS.

Warning: long list ahead with lots of links.
In pretty much the order they showed up in search results:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ltsp-kde
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-ltsp-integration
"Checking LTSP works with KDE"
What is the status of this?  Will this require testing for Intrepid/KDE4?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ltsp-kde-tools
What is the status of this?  Did any of the tools get implemented?
This should probably be revisited at UDS to see what still needs to be
done.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-onboard
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-accessibility-keyboard
Related specs for an on-screen keyboard for Kubuntu.  What is the
status of this?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-restricted-manager
This is done, right?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kickoff-integration
Kickoff is default in KDE4, so this is done in Intrepid.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-xgl
This is obsoleted by AIGLX and needs to be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-adept-version-locking
Was there any progress on this?  Probably needs to be included in
whatever the Adept spec will be for Intrepid.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-katapult
"Make katapult launcher cool"
I don't really understand what this was about but katapult is cool so
I think this is done ;)

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/egonas1
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hardy-kde4
KDE4 in hardy.  Done.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kde-games
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-kde4-games
Duplicate specs.  It would be nice to include a couple games by
default if space can be found on the CD.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kmilo-controls-kmix-selected-sound-card
This is a bug and the spec should be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-artwork-hardy
Obsolete.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-autostart-applications
This would be good.  Jucato did a write up on this, would be useful.
Maybe something already exists for this for KDE4?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-basket
Basket by default would be nice, but I don't think it's ported to KDE4.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kommander
Don't know what this one's talking about.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-cd-samples-whole-kde
Should review what applications get included by default for Intrepid,
but this isn't much of a spec and should probably be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-desktop-install
The behavior of the kubuntu-desktop package is correct as it is, so
this spec won't be implemented and should be closed.  It does however
mention a possible bug in gtk-qt-engine, which should be filed
separately.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-driver-device-manager
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-feisty-hal-device-manager
What is this?  Is it like the restricted manager?  So done then?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-grubconfig
Is this now artemis_fowl's grub editor project?  Should probably be
targetted for Intrepid then.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-oem-installer
I think this was done in abattoir's SoC.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-partition-manager
Sounds useful.  Has there been any progress on this?  Maybe allow the
partition manager used in ubiquity to be run as a standalone app on
the LiveCD?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/rdesktop-krdc-options
This is done in KDE4 according to the upstream bug report.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xorg-edit-kxgenerator
Since there are no plans to include kxgenerator, this should be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/make-free-space-wizard
What is the status of this?  Sounds useful.  Especially would be nice
if KDM could launch it if there is not enough space to log in.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kde-kiosk-profiles
What is the status of this?  Sounds nice as well.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-edgy-package-manager
This is all either done or obsolete.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-file-transfer-dialogue
I'm not sure what this is talking about, but was there any progress on this?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-gutsy-guidance
I think most of this wasn't done for gutsy.  Need a new guidance spec
for Intrepid though, so this is obsolete.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hardy-catchup
I think this one is done, but there's probably new catching up to do.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-default-settings-review
This is done, but some of the changes may need porting to KDE4.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-samba-integration
Needs to be revisted for Intrepid/KDE4.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-koffice-by-default
Needs to be revisted for Intrepid based on the release plan for Koffice 2.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-intelligent-menu-entries
What is the status of this?  Would be nice.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hwdb-usability
What is the status of this?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-gutsy-plus-one-adept
Need a new Adept spec for Intrepid.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-show-all-directorires-of-main-directory
Done and needs to be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-sound-recorder-by-default
Sounds good.  Is there a sound recorder program for KDE4?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/trash-applet/
This is a bug and the spec needs to be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ubiquity-timeset-method
This is a bug.  Might be fixed?  The spec needs to be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-gtk-theme
I think this was done a while ago when gtk-qt-engine was included.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-language-selector
Not really a spec, but anyways, done?

Ahem.  Need to be closed:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/better-kubuntu-support
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/change-default-color-in-kubuntu-feisty
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kome
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/rebrand-ubuntu-spinoffs
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/setup-tool
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/tighter-integration-between-distros
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xmms-on-kubuntu

Thanks for reading.  Whoever has the privileges, please at least close
the obvious ones.

~ Yuriy

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/?searchtext=kde
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/?searchtext=kubuntu