KDE 4.1 "for testers only"

Pär Andersson paran at lysator.liu.se
Thu Jul 31 13:16:53 BST 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 12.42.48 Christian A. Reiter wrote:
> Like "Auzy" said in the idea, www.kubuntu.org is for new users as well, and
> if they see "KDE 4.1 Released" in big letters on the homepage they want to
> install it.

First of all, I hope this mail don't sound to negative. It is great that
packages for new KDE versions is available on hardy, and I appreciate all the
work done by kubuntu developers to both make the packages and backport them
to hardy.

Unfortunately I don't think the way the latest releases have been made is
good. First of all, if releases are posted on the kubuntu.org front page they
should as Christian says at least have some sort of warning that the packages
are not fully supported. This is of course extra important when RC/BETA
versions is released.

Then I do not think it is good to use the kubuntu-members-kde4 PPA for the
releases. That PPA contain other software, for example an alpha of Amarok.
Nice packages, but not necessarily what you expect when following
instructions for installing KDE 4.1. But the worst thing with the PPA is that
it is a moving target. Many people who have waited for 4.1, a stable KDE
release, are now told to enable the PPA to install it. Fine, but they
probably don't want KDE 4.2 alpha1 (or similar) in the future when this might
show up in the PPA.

KDE 3.5 releases used to have a separate repository on kubuntu.org, signed by
Jonathan Riddells GPG key, I think that solution was much better. Of course
KDE 4.1 beta1, beta2, RC1, final could have used the same repository.

Best regards
Pär Andersson