question on memory w/ KDE 4

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) khaoticmind at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 15:09:27 BST 2008

Hello,

Have you tried using Ubuntu with KDE3 or even with Gnome to see if you
get this same behavior? How much memory does the system consumes when
it startted? You can't blame KDE4 for being a memory hog if you
haven't tried other approaches.

One thing i know for sure is that, in Ubuntu, VMWare DOES behaves
weirdly slow out-of-the-box (at least for me).
I've found some tips around the net that helped me get a lot more of Vmware.
Try using then and post the results back:

You can tune the EXT3 partition where your VMs are to get some more
performance of your disk:
tune2fs -O has_journal -o journal_data_writeback /dev/hda1
tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hda1
e2fsck -D /dev/hda1
Put these in /etc/fstab: ",noatime,nodiratime"

More tips here: http://en.opensuse.org/Speeding_up_Ext3

Some changes you might want to do in /etc/vmware/config
prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100"
mainMem.useNamedFile = "false"
mainMem.partialLazySave = "FALSE"
mainMem.partialLazyRestore = "FALSE"
MemTrimRate=0
sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"
prefvmx.useRecommendedLockedMemSize = "TRUE"

More tips and explanations of a lot options here:
http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-config-ini.html

Also, MAYBE you have some process running on Ubuntu that is doing a
lot of disk access.
Try monitoring it with pidstat -d 3 30, and see how is the culprid.

If you still have issues after that try reporting back to see if we can help.
Another good place to look for problems with VMware is the official
vmware forums (http://www.vmware.com/communities/).

Chers,
KM

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I am working on perhaps switching back to Kubuntu and KDE 4 for my work
> laptop but have run into several problems.  I have a Dell Latitude D830 with
> 4 Gigs of RAM.  Under Vista 32 bit I get 3.6 Gigs of RAM available and
> according to free with Kubuntu 32 bit edition I only get 3.2 Gigs of RAM.
> As I use Virtual Machines a ton for demos and learning new software, etc...
> this is a small problem, need as much memory as possible.
>
> However this is not the biggest problem.  With VMWare Workstation 6 in Vista
> I can run 3 machines before I slow things down.  One Kubuntu VM taking up 1
> GIG of RAM, 1 Windows 2003 Server VM taking up a GIG of RAM and one Ubuntu
> server taking up 512 MB of RAm.  Vista still performs without problems, I
> can still use other programs, Firefox, Outlook, Excel, and others, I notice
> some slow down but not much.
> Runing Kubuntu 8.04 Remix (KDE 4) I can barely get 2 VMs running with 1 GIG
> of RAM a peice.  I see a ton of swaping and using my swap memory more.  Two
> 1 GIG RAM VMs make the system to the point it is almost unusable.  Is KDE4
> more resource intensive?  Am I seeing something special/goofy with my
> laptop?  KDE 4 seems to be a huge memory hog.
>
> The other problem I kept having was my VM's were crashing with memory
> errors.  If I wanted a stable VM and a usuable machine I had to run them at
> 384 MB a piece which is silly when running two Windows servers.
>
> Based on this I am going to stay with my Vista laptop for work.
>
> Disappointed,
>
> Jonathan

Informação & Segurança - Informações para sua segurança na rede.
http://info-seg.blogspot.com