Suggestion: Enable mouse gestures by default

Francois-Denis Gonthier neumann at lostwebsite.net
Thu Nov 8 03:42:15 GMT 2007

On November 7, 2007 07:27:03 am chris at deadhand.com wrote:
> Just let me know what you think and if there's any chance mouse gestures
> (those attached or something similar) have a chance of makin it into hardy
> heron.

I'm not authoritative but this doesn't seem like a good idea at all.

> My idea would be to have an illustrated documentation page regarding the
> default gestures and how to invoke them - in the official docs as well as
> on the "what's new" release page. If there's any chance for inclusion I'd
> be glad to work out something.

My fear is that mouse gestures will confuse users that don't know they are
enabled by default.  I fear there will be a good quantity of people worrying
that their browser, or favorite application, has made an action they don't
expect.  They certainly won't realize that the particular mouse movement they
made fired an action, even if that requires that they keep the right mouse
button down, or something like that.

Gestures could be enabled by default if a take-you-by-the-hand feature is
added to KDE, or to specific application, which tells first-time users that a
specific action has happened in response to the movement they've done.

This is not a judgement for or against the concept of mouse gestures, but I
think we should be wary of enabling a feature that gives little feedback
before proceeding.