Kubuntu LTS

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Dec 21 21:16:18 GMT 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:23:03 +1100 Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
>> Official statement from Canonical would help a lot here. Noone will
>> seriuosly rely on such statements if they are not officially backed.
>
>Riddell's statement should be regarded as official.  He is the Canonical
>face of Kubuntu.  Presumably the tech board will also issue a statement.
>
>>IMO 8.04 should be LTS release with mainly 3.5 support and with
>> option to try out KDE 4, if someone wishes to do so, but with
>> possibility of falling back to rock-stable 3.5 if some problems arise.
>> I think KDE 4 can be used as stable base since version 4.1 appears and
>> all young-age problems are tracked and solved. And when more apps using
>> KDE 4 will appear.
>
>This sort of discussion is useless.  Kubuntu Hardy will not be LTS, as
>per the tech board's decision.  This will not change by people
>complaining about it.  The tech board would never have decided (and
>disclosed) this without extensive thought.  The task now is to decide
>where Kubuntu should go, for this release, with the constraints that we
>have, and will be discussed in tomorrow's meeting as well.

Agreed (the decision is made), but the complaining does have a purpose.
Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall community input being sought on this
change.  While it's certainly their call, it would have been nice to be
asked.  Personally this shift towards KDE4 makes Hardy less interesting to
me on the desktop.  I think providing user/developer feedback is a quite
reasonable thing to do.  Otherwise the impression would be that everyone is
happy.

I won't be able to make the meeting tomorrow.  I really hope someone takes
good notes and publishes them.

Scott K