powermanagement plans for KDE4

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Aug 10 14:43:53 BST 2007

Hi there,

During aKademy in Glasgow, Danny Kukawka Kevin Ottens and I sat together and
discussed how powermanagement in KDE4 should look like. My personal plans are
to align Kubuntu closely with that so we can prevent duplicate efforts in the
future. Also, current powermanager has some architectural issues, which will
be resolved with those plans.

The minutes of this meeting have been sent to KDE's hardware-devel
mailinglist, you can find it archived at
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-hardware-devel&m=118374720211142&w=2. Please read
it carefully as its vital for understanding the plans laid out in this email.

First off, the problems I see with current powermanager are:

- It's written using PyQt, which gives us a memory penalty of ~8MB and makes
  it start relatively slow for such an applet
- Its design uses polling, so it updates slow and keeps the CPU awake more
  than absolutely needed

All those problems are addressed with the solution we're aiming for for KDE4.
There is a basic port of powermanager to PyQt4 in svn trunk, but that does not
address the first issues, the second issues can be solved, but haven't been
tackled yet. I probably won't put time into this.

A draft implementation of the Powermanagement Plasma DataEngine and a
reference implementation of a battery applet are in
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/plasma/. I also blogged about it,
read http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=716.
I'm not up to date of the current state of kpowersave, but Danny can probably
give details about its current state.

Finally, I'm happy that we're making progress towards sharing resources and
having the powermanagement mess on a promising route forward (the userspace
parts, at least). If people want to contribute to this solution, that'd be
excellent.

Please speak up and attach patches if you have problems with this idea. :-)
--
sebas