Volume controls on Dell Lattitude D810

Frank Siegert hugelmopf at web.de
Wed May 3 09:14:14 BST 2006

,---- Michel D'HOOGE wrote:
| With ubuntu dapper and gnome, nearly all my hotkeys (dell inspiron
| 630m) work properly, with even a small OSD reminder! But it doesn't
| work in kubuntu :-( There is the LinEAK project for that but I had no
| time yet to dig on that.
`----

I don't think, you need an extra daemon like lineak for this functionality.
Have you tried to switch to a different keyboard layout in System Settings?
Maybe one of the multimedia keyboards contains your hotkey setup.

Otherwise... have you tried, if your hotkeys are already recognized by the
X-server ("xev"), and if not make them known to the X-server by e. g.
  xmodmap -e "keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute"
  xmodmap -e "keycode 176 = XF86AudioLowerVolume"
  xmodmap -e "keycode 174 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume"
  xmodmap -e "keycode 178 = XF86HomePage"
  xmodmap -e "keycode 236 = XF86Mail"
(your keycodes may differ, you should probably be able to find out in dmesg).
This works nicely for me and also has a nice OSD reminder.