Automounting devices different in ubuntu/kubuntu badger?

Laszlo Pandy laszlok2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:47:07 GMT 2006

HAL is the hardware abstraction layer which is used by higher level programs
to mount these USB devices. The latest gnome which comes with badger has
support by default for HAL. This means you can configure the mounting
behaviour with gnome settings. However KDE 3.4 does not have HAL support. KDE
3.5 has HAL support and will be included in dapper. For Kubuntu users, there
should be a program called ivman installed which will mount any USB device
regardless if KDE or GNOME or X for that matter is running. If you have a
Kubuntu install ivman should be running in the background and should mount
everything that gets plugged in.
The kernel does not automatically mount everything as this is a potential
security issue. So no, it is not done at the "kernel/system" level, instead
HAL is used to call the low level system to mount the device, only when
requested by the upper level program.