Hello and Openoffice

Miquel Torres miquel.t at gmx.net
Wed Feb 8 15:29:10 GMT 2006

Hello,

I just subscribed to the kubuntu-devel list. I already did some testing with
breezy, and for dapper I wanted to get more involved.

My first subject is OpenOffice.

Regarding KOffice vs OpenOffice I agree with what Jonathan said. KOffice is
not ready for prime time. While I like KOffice a lot, and with 1.5 the
stability and OpenDocument compatibility issues will be largely solved, it
still has the WYSIWYG problem, which won't be solved till KOffice 2. So I
suggest postponing the question until then.

And now on to OpenOffice 2.0.2. It has surfaced that this minor release will
include some interesting improvements to KDE
integration.
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/blog/archives/monthly/2006-01.html#2006-01-26T22_59_59.htm
(the last two of the three items).
Does anyone know whether it will be included in dapper despite upstream
freezey? (it being only a bugfix release?)

Another thing to consider is using the KDE Filechooser. The feature is there
since breezy. Just go to options->OpenOffice.org->General->Open/Save
dialogues and disable "Use OpenOffice.org dialogues". I've been testing it
for a while and encountered no problems. It just takes a little bit too long
to load after requesting the file dialogue (clicking open or save). Other
than that it works perfectly, much better than OpenOffice's native one. It
could be that with version 2.0.2 it works even better. So I think you should
consider configuring OpenOffice to use KDE's Filechooser per default.

Any thoughts/experiences with it?

Miquel