Fwd: Re: [kubuntu-users] UPDATE: Announcement from www.kubuntu.de

jos poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Tue Apr 11 15:50:42 BST 2006

Sorry for top-posting, but at first i wanted to comment on some specific
things, now i think it's better to not do so.

I think you are missing the point, as are many other people (disclaimer: i do
know Andreas, tough i'm not that close).

The problem is not some specific thing - its a general feeling the kubuntu.de
dev's have. They feel kubuntu is still really a second-class ubuntu citizen
when it comes to support from ubuntu/canonical, while Canonical STATES it
does support Kubuntu fully. This (real or not) discrepancy is what created
this problem. When someone forgets to add amu's account, HE thinks its
because the rather let him wait for some time than to help him, while that
might not be the case. If such things happen more often, they add up.

So this is about subjective feelings, not about some too-late account or stuff
like that. Its about the percieved support from Canonical, not the real
support (tough it might very well be the case Canonical supports Gnome more
than KDE). I'd like to stress that i'm not saying Andreas is over-reacting,
nor that he is right - i am just trying to get clear what is going on.

Canonical and Andreas and his team should have a real (preferably
face-to-face) talk about the support from Canonical to Kubuntu. They should
try to find out WHY exactly Andreas feels Kubuntu does not get the support it
deserves, and why Canonical thinks it does. I'm totally positive they can
find some common ground, and see why both disagree. There should be a way to
solve this without fighting. Canonical can do some things to fix the
problems, like promoting kubuntu more clearly on the ubuntu.com homepage and
the 'deriviate' pages like ubuntu.de and making it easier to contribute to
Kubuntu.

Tough I wouldn't say I'm very experienced with mediation, I've had some
training, and I'm willing to help. The prefered way to do so (face to face)
might prove to be difficult (I live in the Netherlands).

greetings,

Jos Poortvliet