marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Nov 22 09:50:01 CST 2005

Jonathan Riddell said...

> Krusader would like their file manager in Kubuntu.  Anyone have any
> opinions?

Like Nicola, I go back a little way and can include the heady experience
of Xtree in DOS. I've been unable to imagine life without a dual pane
file manager since. Even Windows 95 had a dual pane file manager. A
single pane file manager is very much the contemporary Windows
"experience" :-)

When starting out with KDE, I was shocked to find that Konq ignores this
essential feature - split view does not come close - and just as
surprised with its strange handling of tabs. On Windows, these days, I
use Directory Opus, and I'd probably vote it the best application off
all time, certainly the best utility. It really is very, very good.

On Linux, there's only one usable dual pane file manager, and that is
Krusader. In addition, the Krusader devs are ceaseless in their drive to
improve the app. Superlative tools are key to the acceptance of Linux on
the desktop, and Krusader appears to aiming to be in that group.

Kubuntu without Krusader is a weaker package than it could be.

--
Best,
Marc