Kubuntu Documentation

Christoph Wiesen chris at deadhand.com
Sun Jul 3 05:26:08 CDT 2005

Am Sonntag 03 Juli 2005 17:46 schrieb Rajeev J Sebastian:
> On Sunday 03 July 2005 9:43 am, Sean Wheller wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 July 2005 10:19, Sean Wheller wrote:
> > > (http://lnix.net/~froud//deb/kubuntu-docs_0.1-0_all.deb).
> >
> > Please note that the above URL will change as the package name changes in
> > order to be conformant to the package naming conventions of the project.
> >
> > http://lnix.net/~froud//deb/kubuntu-docs_0.1-0ubuntu1_all.deb
>
> Could someone explain what the "0ubuntu1" means in the name above ? 0.1 i
> think is the version of the upstream package ??
>
> Rajeev J Sebastian

Until an actual dev steps up I'll try to explain:

It's common to have some changes in a package even when there is no new
upstream version.

So when a package gets an update specific to the debian package (not found in
the upstream version) this revision number (here the -0) is increased.

The thing about the ubuntu1 is that there has been a change that is not only
specific to the package (read: nothing changed upstream), but that is
specific to the ubuntu package as well - so there has not been a change in
the basic debian package either.
This is to allow some sort of compatibility with original debian packages.
Thus when there is a more widespread (debian) change in the package itself
the first numer (0 in 0ubuntu1) is increased and has priority above any prior
version that still has 0ubtuntuX - even if it has a very high "minor-minor"
version number, like 0ubuntu9.

At least that's what I've been told :)
Hope it a) is understadably written and b) correct. But I'm sure a dev might
come around and comment on this.

Cheers,
Chris