Some small ideas from Ubuntu / GNOME

Christoph Wiesen chris at deadhand.com
Fri Jul 1 15:26:59 CDT 2005

Hi everybody,

after having had a look at the Ubuntu GNOME desktop I thought I'd share my
thoughts about which small things from GNOME might be worth introducing into
Kubuntu's KDE for breezy.
Some of the things are already done somewhere (like there's a patch
available).

a) fade-to-black / fade-to-grey for the logout screen and the screensaver.
With the logout screen it's more of a nice cosmetic issue, but concerning the
screensaver it is really usefull if the screen doesn't go blank instantly but
it slowly fades out, so you can quickly stop the starting of the screensaver
without interrupting your reading flow / viewing

b) Transparent highlight of the "rubber-band" selection area, used to mark
multiple files inside Konqueror.
It's a lot easier to see - the fine line used today is a bit hard to see and
isn't as good looking.
KPDF already has a rubber band exactly like it should be in Konqueror as well.
Theres a small patchset that includes one for Konqueror:

c) Moving windows to another desktop with the pager
In GNOME it's possible to move a window to another desktop just by moving it's
little pictogram inside the pager. This would be nice for KDE too. I read
that it will be done for Plasma (KDE 4) anyway though.

It would be nice if the same would be possible for elements of the task bar.
So if you click and hold an element from the taskbar and move it over a
specific desktop in the pager the corresponding window would be moved to this
desktop.

d) Moving the mouse wheel when hovering above the pager siwtches through the
desktops in both KDE and GNOME. Only that GNOME 'stops' at the last desktop
and doesn't move through to the beginning like KDE does. Thus it's more
controllable the way GNOME does it.

These are just random thoughts - maybe someone agrees and wants to get the
Kubuntu desktop closer to Ubuntu in those regards :)

Cheers,
Chris