Modem users' pain

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Dec 13 00:04:52 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:45:53PM +0100, Frank Siegert wrote:

> 1. Many modems can use existing alsa drivers, but are only functional with
> sl-modem-daemon. This is a multiverse package, not included on the
> installation CD. How is somebody on (not yet working) dialup supposed to get
> this package? Is there any way to include it on the CD?

sl-modem-daemon really ought to be on the install CD - I was looking
into this for Breezy, but ran out of time. Sorry about that! With a bit
of luck it'll be there for Dapper. Certainly for Dapper, I'm aiming for
supporting as many winmodems as possible without extra configuration.

On the downside, we won't be supporting Conexant modems at all. Closer
investigation of the Linuxant driver has revealed that it's horribly in
violation of the GPL, so shipping it would just be an invitation to get
sued. I've notified the people whose copyright has been infringed, so
we'll see what happens there.
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org