[kubuntu-devel] Using Rosetta for Kubuntu

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Aug 8 08:04:16 CDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 04:19:01PM +0300, Donatas G. wrote:

> Are there any plans to use rosetta for Kubuntu specifics translation?

Currently KDE isn't imported into rosetta for 2 reasons.  The first is
that KDE already does one of the main features of rosetta/language
packs and takes all the translation files and puts them in one place
(kde-i18n).  This means the rosetta authors will have to write special
importing rules for KDE which they havn't done yet.  The second reason
is that KDE uses a forked gettext rather than the normal gettext (for
historical reasons) so we'll have to upload the forked gettext or
modify the normal one to work with KDE, I'm still waiting on the
rosetta authors to get back to me on that.

The good news is that we now have split language packs,
language-pack-xx, language-pack-gnome-xx and language-pack-kde-xx
which means the breezy kubuntu CDs will actually have KDE transltions
on them.

The other news is that those language packs arn't made from Rosetta
yet, so not having KDE in rosetta makes no difference anyway.

Jonathan Riddell