[SRU Request] bonding: arp monitoring is failing with tuntap interfaces

Krzysztof Kozlowski krzysztof.kozlowski at canonical.com
Sun Nov 21 13:06:32 UTC 2021

On 19/11/2021 18:17, Nicolas Dichtel wrote:
> Le 19/11/2021 à 16:50, Krzysztof Kozlowski a écrit :
>> On 19/11/2021 16:19, Nicolas Dichtel wrote:
>>> Hi Ubuntu kernel team,
>>>
>>> please, could you consider to backport, up to bionic, the linux upstream commit
>>> a31d27fbed5d ("tun: fix bonding active backup with arp monitoring"):
>>>
>>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=a31d27fbed5d
>>>
>>> It will be included in v5.16.
>>>
>>> Here is the launchpad entry:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1951606
>>
>> Hi Nicolas,
> Hi Krzysztof,
>

>> Thanks for your request. However I wonder why this patch in the upstream
>> is not marked as cc-stable or with Fixes tag? Similarly to your previous
>> requests - none of them are correctly marked.
> For the Fixes tag, it's before git ages, so I didn't put anything.
> Maybe "Fixes: 1da177e4c3f4 ("Linux-2.6.12-rc2")" would have been a better choice.

Yes, the earliest applicable.

>> Following Linux kernel stable process allows entire community and all
>> users to benefit from stable backports. It's also straightforward and
>> effortless for downstream users. Therefore the patch, when submitted
>> upstream, should have a CC-stable tag with optional Fixes tag.
> For a long time, DaveM was handling itself the stable submissions. It's not the
> case anymore, my bad.
>
> Anyway, I will ask upstream for a backport to stable trees.

Indeed Dave sends some backports for stable, but it is an additional
effort for him. The same as for every maintainer. Maintainers are a
scarce resource so it is better not to give them additional work. Also,
if Dave did the backport we would not have this SRU. :) Anyway this
additional effort can be easily skipped if patch is properly marked.
Nothing to do for Dave or any other maintainer, no work for submitter
and also no work for any downstream users.

Best regards,
Krzysztof