Hardware Driver for HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N-(P)

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Mon Jan 19 09:56:14 UTC 2015

On 18.01.2015 16:30, Wolfgang Hahnl wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> I hope this is the rigt place for my questio. If not please give me an advise
> where I can put it.
>
> I got an old laptop (from the year 2004 with Windows XP) as a gift for my
> granddaughter. As a Linux fan  I installt ubuntu 14.04 via DVD-iso.
> Up to now I had never an issue with DVDRAM.  at any computer.
> The DVD worked propperly during installation procedure.
> BUT after installation I can not use the DVD device.
> If I insert a DVD the device starts and after seconds stops it.
>
> If I useed a terminal and asked with
> lshw -C disk
> there ist onely the  hard disk, no DVDRAM.

Did you run "sudo lshw -C disk"? The output may be incomplete if you did not.

> I looked in  BIOS and got this information:
>
> IDE Slave:
>  HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N-(P)
> Transfer Mode: [FPIO4/DMA2]
> Ultra DMA Mode: Mode 2
>
> Is it possible to install any addititional module and which one?
> Or is it a bug and I have to open a bug report?
> Or is the device to old for ubuntu?

There is no special driver required for DVD devices connected as normal ATA/IDE
devices. Could it be the DVD media you try (do not expect video DVDs to work as
they might use some ugly copy protection)?

But if nothing helps, please file a bug report by running

ubuntu-bug linux

which will automatically collect some useful log files. Oh, and run that command
after you inserted a DVD into the drive so the log files include any messages
resulting from that.

-Stefan