Hardware Driver for HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N-(P)

Wolfgang Hahnl wolfgang.hahnl at gmx.de
Sun Jan 18 15:30:54 UTC 2015

Hello Team,

I hope this is the rigt place for my questio. If not please give me an
advise where I can put it.

I got an old laptop (from the year 2004 with Windows XP) as a gift for
my granddaughter. As a Linux fan  I installt ubuntu 14.04 via DVD-iso.
Up to now I had never an issue with DVDRAM.  at any computer.
The DVD worked propperly during installation procedure.
BUT after installation I can not use the DVD device.
If I insert a DVD the device starts and after seconds stops it.

If I useed a terminal and asked with
lshw -C disk
there ist onely the  hard disk, no DVDRAM.

I looked in  BIOS and got this information:

IDE Slave:
  HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N-(P)
Transfer Mode: [FPIO4/DMA2]
Ultra DMA Mode: Mode 2

Is it possible to install any addititional module and which one?
Or is it a bug and I have to open a bug report?
Or is the device to old for ubuntu?

Or is this not the right place vor my question?

Please give me a hint
<http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/granddaughter.html>

--
Best regards