3.17rc1-3

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Fri Sep 5 09:59:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 09:28:36PM +0200, Patryk Małek wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've just signed up here so please don't bite.
> When I wanted to download kernel 3.17rc3 from
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.17-rc3-utopic/ I realised
> that all files in 3.17-rc1 and 3.17-rc2 directories have been modified on
> 02.09.2014 while kernel 3.17-rc1 was released on 16.08.2014 and rc2 on
> 25.08.2014.
> I even have those versions (dpkg pacakges from kernel.ubuntu.com)
> downloaded with aforementioned timestamps.
>
> What was the reason for rebuilding the packages and wasn't it against the
> convention that you don't patch and replace the 'released' version (it's rc
> so not so official).

They were rebuilt to test the autobuilders which had had a major
architectural change and upgrade (to make them more resilient and faster).
They were rebuilt from the same source code, no patches have been applied.
The resulting binaries should be the same modulo timestamp changes.

As these are just used for debugging, they are not tightly versioned.
Indeed we work on the assumption that all and any of them are
regenerable should they get lost for any reason (disk issues etc).

-apw