kernel bug procedures

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Sun Oct 26 15:36:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 00:36:08 +0200
Andy Whitcroft <apw at canonical.com> wrote:
> I have put an update in the bug, but the short version is that the fix
> you indicate is already applied and has been since before release.
> There are other changes in this area which could be at fault but the
> search proposed is likely needed to identify this.  The results of that
> need then feeding back to the upstreams.
>
> -apw

Hi Andy,

I'm not shure I understood this alright. I can't really debug this,
since I have no access to the machine.
Fact is the machine rebootet instantly after firing up the Desktop
Environment and putting radeon.dpm=0 "fixed" it. This happened after
upgrading the distribution via some gui mechanism ( which is what my
mom did).

So, IMO, in order to make ubuntu usable on those machines, this should
be the default. If there is a known real fix for this hardware, maybe
this could be backported, but i don't know of any.

Would it help, if I tried to get the hardware specs, so that you know
which radeon supported chipset this happens on? But of course this
wouldn't preclude it from happening on other similar chipsets...
is there some simple way to gather the needed information from the
machine?

Best regards,
Florian